Tango is not only a fascinating dance, but also a fascinating culture, idea, lifestyle, and philosophy. In many ways, tango is a metaphor of life. The pursuit of tango is the pursuit of connection, love, beauty, harmony and humanity, i.e., an idealism that is not consistent with the dehumanizing reality of the modern world. The world divides us as individuals, but tango unites us as a species. In tango we are not individualists, feminists, nationalists, liberals, conservatives, Democrats, Republicans, etc., but interconnected and interdependent members of the human family. We are humanists. Tango calls us to tear down the walls, to build bridges, and to regain humanity through connection, cooperation and compromise. If you believe in this cause, please join the conversation and let your voice be heard, which is urgently needed and long overdue.

Together we can awaken the world.




October 29, 2009

Mirta


At Milonga de los Consagrados there was a woman who caught my attention. Her waist is so flexible that she can twist her lower body over 90 degree from her upper body. In such twisted poise she can step in any direction while her upper body is connected to her partner's torso.

When doing the front ocho, her upper body and lower body seem separated. She first turns her lower body and steps forward to one side of her partner, then, turns her hips 180 degree and steps to the other side of her partner with the other leg. While doing so her upper body remains constantly connected to her partner's torso. At the end of the sequence, she always turns her hips to one side first, crossing her free leg and keeping it stylishly bent before turning her hips back to face her partner and putting the bending leg down. She does so with elegance and beauty. No matter how complex the movement seems, she executes it with great ease and style. No matter how fast the music sounds, she remains calm and unhurried, giving herself time to complete the step, and still manages to finish the step on the beat. She is a master of tango with an extraordinary musicality.

I liked the way she danced and had a desire to dance with her, so I stared at her intently. Eventually I caught her attention. As her eyes met mine I nodded at her and she nodded back. I stood up and walked towards her, keeping my eyes at her all the way, until I was standing a few steps in front of her. She gave me a smile, stood up and walked towards me. We started to dance.

She was an incredible dancer, light, followed perfectly, as if she knew in advance how I wanted her to move. She had such a beautiful line and danced in such elegance that I could not help but to show her feminine beauty. Every time I led an ocho, I gave her extra time to show her unique style. We danced in perfect harmony. When we finished she said she wanted to give me her card. I walked her back to her seat. She took out a card from her purse and handed it to me. On it printed “Mirta Mark, Profesora Nacional de Danzas”. “Let me know where you will be,” she said, “so we can dance again.”

We danced again a few days later at Club Gricel. She didn’t feel very well that day, but she came anyway because I was leaving Buenos Aires the next day. Unfortunately the floor was too crowded on that weekend and we couldn’t dance the way we would like to. I sent her an email to say goodbye the next morning. In her response she wrote, “These things do not happen every day…If you think the same way, let’s continue to write… and who knows, we may again have the opportunity, in Argentina or USA, to enjoy our dance and maybe an exquisite dinner…”

I miss that wonderful moment dancing with her, and am looking forward to that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment