Champaign Milongueros is a group of local tango dancers committed to the milonguero style of tango. Our mission is to gather like-minded local tango dancers to study and promote the milonguero style of tango, carry on its tradition, separate ourselves from the existing tango culture in this university town with our standardized dance style, exquisite dance skills and distinct milonga culture, and to lead the trend.
Champaign is one of the earliest tango communities in Illinois, yet for more than two decades Champaign tango remains weak because it has only focused on university students, the part of the population who would leave the town after graduation and are interested in things that are not appealing to older local dancers. We want to depart from that path and try a new approach.
1. This group is dedicated to the milonguero style of tango that features close embrace, feelings, gender roles and classic tango music, not the Nuevo style featuring open embrace, exhibition, gender-neutrality and alternative music. In contrast to the ideologies that unduly promote pluralism, diversity and difference, we emphasize authenticity, standardization and conformity to the milonguero tradition. (See Pluralism versus Monism.)
3. We emphasize team spirit, brotherhood and responsibility within the group against the individualistic tendency that focuses on the independence, rights, liberty and freedom of the individual. A milonguero is not an individualist but a team player. He/she belongs to a group of like-minded dancers who understand the interdependence of people and the importance of the community, who regularly dance together, conform to the group standard, observe its protocols, participate in its administration, and are role models for novices and newcomers. (See Tango and Individualism.)
4. By observing the tango protocols practiced in the milongas of Buenos Aires, including milonga etiquette, dress code, separate seating, cabeceo, and navigation rules, we strive to create a warm, respectful, friendly, pleasant, elegant and orderly environment in our milongas. (See Milonga Codes.)
To secure the quality of our milonga, this group opens only to selected dancers. Group members must have the following qualifications:
1. Dedicate to the milonguero style of tango.
2. Accept the Group Charter.
3. Commit to long-term participation.
4. Are fit for tango dancing and have the potential to grow.
5. Actively attend our classes.
6. Are responsible team players.
7. Newcomers must complete the training and meet our standards to become a member and attend our milongas.